Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Feeling small (& New Prints)

Note: keep scrolling... the prints are at the bottom!

The other day, my husband and I stopped at an estate sale late on a Saturday. Most of the things in the house were overpriced, but we were interested in a couple of things, so we asked if they were going to have a half price sale on Sunday (which is common at estate sales). One of the men working the sale said, with much disdain, that they would not be doing a half price sale, though some things would be discounted. When my husband tried asking for more information about a particular item and whether or not it would be discounted, the man abruptly said, "Thank you for your interest and thank you for stopping by." as if cut off any further discussion of the matter and it was almost like he was asking us to leave. Lucky for him, we were already on our way out. But as we discussed the situation on the way out, I just felt low that we had even asked about a discount. Then my fight instinct kicked in and I realized that I was letting another person's ideas about the world (naive and inconsiderate perception of the world, btw) affect my emotions. I got a bit angry that I continually let myself be intimidated by people like that man. I wanted (and still want) to find a way to stand up to the bullies of the world. Not necessarily in a confrontational manner, but just in a way that will let me stay at peace with myself and my own decisions. I think the first part of the process to not being intimidated is to realize when you are allowing other people to intimidate you... and fight it... not out loud, but on the inside. Confidence is key. And I don't ever, ever want to make other people feel small... like the way that man made me feel small.

I have also continued to think about something I posted earlier about taking credit for things. I still feel like it is good to work hard and have a sense of accomplishment and delight in doing something worthwhile, but I also recently came across this verse in my devotion time that really is powerful:

...Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches. But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the Lord which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the Lord.
Jeremiah 9:23-24

It just reminds me that no matter how much we appreciate the things of this earth or how hard we work to do something great, it is just so shallow in comparison to the wonder of being with and knowing the Lord.

Along with this thinking about things, I have also been working on more prints and here are some of them:
The last one is my favorite!

No comments: