Pages

Saturday, April 30, 2011

One Thing at a Time

One thing at a time...

This is not a lesson I have learned. It means I have a tendency to wear myself out going and going and going... until I crash. Yesterday was a going day. Tomorrow may be a crash day. This post is about what I did yesterday:

We're trying an experiment growing vegetable plants this year. A few weeks ago, my cousin, Paul, brought us a load of dirt in his truck and helped unload it into our backyard for our garden. Yesterday morning, I planted all of our little plants from Home Depot in our small raised bed. I'm sure that's not the best and most cost effective place to get plants, but it was definitely the most convenient. I planted
tomatoes,
a bell pepper,
squash,
zucchini,
cucumber,
cantaloupe,
honeydew,
and watermelon.
I'm a little concerned that they're not gonna make it. I'm not sure there's enough sunlight, some of the plants are too closely spaced, I'm not sure the bed is deep enough, and I'm not entirely sure I'm going to be awesome at weeding the garden. ;-)





After I finished planting the garden, I sanded and spray painted the patio furniture. The people who lived in this house before us left their old patio furniture and it was pretty rough looking. So I decided to give it a face lift.

Here's how it looked before I painted it.



First, I used a steel brush to knock off some of the paint flecks. I also used the scraper on the end of the brush to knock some of the old paint off.

Then I used an old rag to clean and wipe them down.
I used this to paint it. Each one got a different color.
And this is how it turned out. It's not perfect, but it's better. I got the idea to paint them bright colors from my friend Christina. I think it was a great idea.


I ran out of orange spray paint because I tried to paint the back of the chair as a test run... so then I didn't have enough. Planning ahead worked against me this time. Ugh... another run to Home Depot.

When I was finished painting the patio furniture, I put a coat of polyurethane on the coffee table (so we can actually use it now).

And deboned the turkey that I had turned on earlier in the day.
At the end of my busy day, I got to do one of my favorite activities... I went swing dancing!

And no, this is not a recent photo. But it is a fun photo that my friend Misti took... and I love it! Have a great weekend everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the colors that you picked for your patio furniture. They look so fun!

The Heart said...

Thanks!!!